The United States Mint has released the design proposals for the 2010 America the Beautiful Quarters. The five quarters which will begin the new series feature Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas, Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, Yosemite National Park in California, Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona, and Mount Hood National Forest in Oregon.
The US Mint prepares three to five design candidates based on source materials and guidance provided by the federal liaison for the National Park or site. These candidates are provided to the Secretary of the Interior, the chief executive of the host jurisdiction, the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA), and the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC). Their reviews and comments are taken under consideration by the United States Mint. The Director of the Mint makes a recommendation to the Secretary of the Treasury, who has authority to make the final decision.
Pictured below are the design candidates for each of the five 2010 America the Beautiful Quarters along with the opinions publicly expressed by the CFA and CCAC.
2010 Hot Springs National Park Quarter
- The CFA recommended design AR-02, which shows a fountain and ornate door of one of the Hot Springs National Park buildings.
- The CCAC recommended AR-04, which shows a view of a single fountain from the park.
2010 Yellowstone National Park Quarter
- The CFA rejected all of the design proposals for poor quality. The idea of depicting Old Faithful was suggested, but with consideration of additional source material such as the paintings of Thomas Moran.
- The CCAC recommended design WY-01, which shows a bison standing in front of Old Faithful.
2010 Yosemite National Park Quarter
- The CFA recommended CA-04, which shows a view of the Half Dome rock formation. They did make comments that the artwork appears unfinished and should be developed with consideration of other sources, such as photographs of Ansel Adams.
- The CCAC recommended CA-03, a view of the granite cliff called El Capitan.
2010 Grand Canyon National Park Quarter
- The CFA recommended AZ-01 due to the depth of the perspective view, but recommended some modifications. They suggested the foreground scene is given too much prominence and the vertical alignment should be moved to the right of the composition.
- The CCAC also recommended AZ-01.
2010 Mount Hood National Forest Quarter
- The CFA recommended OR-03 for its superior composition and simplicity of elements.
- The CCAC also recommended OR-03.